Monday 21 February 2011

Naked for Satan




I am SO full. Like Christmas full. And I only spent $3.50. And I'm not in Thailand.

Camille and I had lunch today at Naked for Satan, Fitzroy- it's a gourmet vodka bar or something like that, with lots of copper sculptures and exposed brick and awkwardly named cocktails. That aside, it serves amazing food in the form of Pintxos- Spanish tapas style snacks.

Cold Pintxos are displayed on trays near the bar and hot ones are passed around by staff. Each Pixtos usually takes the form of a piece of bread topped with something amazing held together by a toothpick. You help yourself, collect the toothpicks and then keep them in a little plastic cup. When you're achingly full you present your little cup at the counter and they add up your toothpicks. During weekday lunchtimes, each toothpick = 50 cents YES 50 cents.

I have taken quite a few people here because it is yummy, filling, well-presented food and yes, only 50 cents a serve. I think the most I've eaten was $5 worth. When I brought a certain hefty Swede, he spent an unimaginable $12.

Here's what I ate today:


Tempura eggplant, blue cheese and honey: OMG amazing.
Blue cheese, quince paste, walnuts and cos: anything with blue cheese is obviously amazing.
Pureed cauliflower and garlic prawns: VERY garlicky but so good.
I also had an anchovy, caramelised onion and olive one that I ate too quickly to photograph.

This was some kind of chorizo sausage and relish, it was flavoursome, but not spicy enough.



This was a pork and fennel sausage on caramelised onions.

By this stage I was pretty full after all that bread and sausage and we decided that we'd had enough. Just as I was about to get up the girl brought over this fried sardine aoli thing. Camille and I nearly bit her hand off. It was so salty, fishy and garlicky. Why don't I eat sardines more? It's really satisfying eating another creature's tiny bones.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so jealous! I loved the food we had there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. naked for santan is the best name for anything. ever. i need to go there next i'm in melbourne.

    ReplyDelete